Saturday 20 August 2016

Chu Việt Hà | Hà Nội Street Life

Photo © Chu Việt Hà -All Rights Reserved
It's been a while since I've posted the work by a Vietnamese photographer, especially one that specializes in street photography, which is one of my very favorite activities when I travel to Hà Nội; that is when I can drag myself from photographing Hầu Đồng ceremonies.

I've been following the work of Chu Việt Hà on Facebook link is for his Flickr page) for a while, and he has always impressed me with his keen eye. I know some of the locales in Hà Nội's Old Quarter where he photographs, and perhaps that adds to my enjoyment of his technique and his timing. Many of his photographs are made around Hoan Kiem Lake (as the one above), while others document the shopkeepers and the teeming life near Dong Xuan market.

According to a recent interview, Chu Việt Hà considers Robert Capa as one of his ideal role models, as well as Henri Cartier Bresson for his "decisive moment"...however I see much of Alex Webb's influence in his work. There's also humor in his work in the way he juxtaposes certain elements in the scenes that end up being incongruous.

A Fuji camera user, he currently works at a construction company in Hà Nội, and has been involved in street photography for approximately two years.

Photo © Chu Việt Hà -All Rights Reserved

REI | De Las Flores

REI by Tewfic El-Sawy on on Exposure